Saturday, July 19, 2014

Oriental Earrings Update


The only things that I changed were the pearls and the kind of thread that I used in this one. I switched from ivory pearls to bronze ones and I used Nymo B instead of Nymo D. Even though I bought both both kinds of pearls at Beads One, I think the bronze ones are slightly smaller. The seed beads didn't fit as snug around the bronze ones and they fit just right around the ivory pearls in my other sample.

I don't use FireLine for making samples, because it's expensive, so I used Nymo B thread instead because it's also very thin. However, I think it's a little too thin for this pattern. I kept weaving around and around the whole thing and it didn't seem to want to tighten up or give the earring much body. I usually like to use thicker thread for some earring patterns for that reason. My first sample had more stiffness but I also had a bit of trouble getting back through some of the beads. I guess I just can't win.

Check my previous post for information about the pattern and YouTube video.

SUPPLIES THAT I USED IN MY SAMPLE:

  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (15-457D)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (11-457D)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki Duracoat "Pewter" (11-D4222)
  • 10mm round crystal "#C12 AB" (Beads One)
  • 3mm pearls "Antique Brass - #13" (Beads One)
  • 3mm bicones "Purple AB" (from China)
  • 5x7mm fire polished drop bead (no info available)

7 comments:

  1. Linda, could you help explain how to bead from a video tutorial, please? Sounds like a silly question but for me, I really don't understand how to. Why? Because everything I've learned to do hasn't been taught by someone showing me something but by written directions along with pictures (usually NOT photos) or drawings. That's cooking/baking, sewing, knitting/crochet and most recently in the last few years, beadweaving.

    This way, I can clearly see what needs to be done next and the path the thread takes. I can pick my own pace - as I'm a slow beader! :) With printed directions, if something seems harder, I can look it over carefully and discover where my problem is. And since I have a lot of pain in my hands and lower back, I can pause any time and pick it up where I left off.

    With video tutorials, I can't always see the path they're taking and their hands and fingers get in my view of what's being done. I know they do their best not to but I'm often left think "huh?" And there's no way I can keep pace with them. Even with hitting pause, I find beading at my computer desk frustrating.

    So all my whining aside, do you have any suggestions other than buying a printed tutorial? I'd really appreciate any. Perhaps I simply can't use video tutorials the way some can't understand printed directions with diagrams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I appreciate the beadwork designers who offer free YouTube tutorials, I agree that it's a bit of a pain to do beading at my computer. However, I think it's worth the bother if it's a project that I really like. What I do is watch the video all the way through to familiarize myself with the process. Of course this can be challenging if the tutorial isn't in English but I haven't come across one yet that I couldn't follow without too much difficulty and I think I've learned quite a bit of Italian now, LOL.

      After watching the video once, I watch it again and take notes this time, jotting down each step and pausing the video when necessary. Then, I take my notes over to the couch, where I do my beading, and see if I can follow them. If I get stuck on something, I skip to that part of the video and see what I'm doing wrong and adjust my notes. Once I've got my notes edited, I type them up in more of a tutorial format for future reference. Of course I also add a link to the video so that I can find it again if I need to.

      Delete
    2. Yes, of course! Watch & make notes while pausing. Then edit as needed. Silly of me not to think of that and thank you for explaining your process. :). I'll have too see what her clever technique is too.

      I think I've perhaps developed (though I'd say more accidently came up ways) some of my own techniques when I've seen an idea I like & put my beads together my way. Not so much better, just different.

      Delete
  2. Oops, forgot to add. The Oriental earrings aren't difficult to see how it's been done. I might not do the exact same pathways but it's something I can do from just looking at it. My question refers to more complicated designs I've seen offered as free tutorials on YouTube. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sidonia uses a very clever technique for adding the beads around the large center pearl/crystal that you might not think of. I'd never seen that technique before.

      Delete
  3. Where do I find the video to make this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted the link in my previous post which you can read here:

      http://craftyinspirationbylinda.blogspot.com/2014/07/video-tutorial-sidonias-oriental.html

      Delete