Saturday, September 26, 2015

Pearly Lace Earrings

  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Opaque Matte Pale Seafoam" (2028)
  • 15/0 seed beads Toho "Matte Pastel Pink" (764)

I'd had my eye on this pattern for a while and finally broke down and bought it yesterday. I made a couple of sample earrings last night just to try the pattern and I instantly fell in love with them. It's really hard to get a sense of how they look in reality by looking at the photos. Because the photos are so big, you see lots and lots of beads in a pretty lace-like design. In reality the beads are so tiny that you think you're looking at real lace made with crochet thread. They're super thin too.

This post is just a sort of preview. I want to try a few more bead colors and get better photos. I was just so excited about them that I had to share what I've made so far. I did run into one issue with the design that I was able to "fix" and I will explain it more in my next post about this pattern. My tweak does change the shape of the design a bit but I really don't like having thread showing between the beads. You can't really see the thread too much in my off white earring below because I took the photo on a dark background. That was my very first sample and I used some brown thread that happened to be on my needle. Of course I will use off-white thread next time with those beads. If you compare the off-white earring with the aqua one above, I think you'll see what I mean about the difference in the shape. Look at the area surrounding the star in the center.


UPDATE: I made another sample earring using my tweak and this time there is a pentagon around the star instead of a circle. Apparently it wasn't my tweak that caused the change in the shape of the aqua and pink earring. It was the beads that I used that made the difference.

You can buy this pattern by Iulia Postica from her BeadedTreasury Etsy shop HERE.

I'm going to bead some more earrings now and I'll hopefully have more to post soon.



  • 15/0 seed beads "Ceylon Ivory" (421C) *
* I bought these beads in a local shop and I can't determine the brand based on the number on the label. Neither Toho or Miyuki seem to have anything this color with that number. You can easily find similar beads though. These have a creamy off-white pearl-like finish.



No comments:

Post a Comment