Friday, September 2, 2016

Playing with my beads...Tallulah Tila with Honeycomb Jewel beads

  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Galvanized Carnival" (513)
  • 8/0 seed beads Toho "Galvanized Carnival" (513)
  • Honeycomb Jewel beads "Full Amber"
  • SuperDuo beads "Metallic Suede Purple"

There are some new Honeycomb beads that are just starting to become available. They're called Honeycomb Jewel and I've only seen them on three bead sites online so far. Although I like the regular Honeycomb beads, and they come in a lot of gorgeous colors, I kept thinking that they would look nicer if they weren't so smooth and flat on the top. They seem too plain to me. I guess that someone read my mind because Honeycomb Jewel beads are the same size and shape as the old Honeycombs but they have a faceted "jewel" top. I think they look much more interesting than the old plain ones, don't you? They only seem to be available in a few colors at the moment. I have them in three colors. I have these gold ones and I will show you one of the other colors in tomorrow's post. I'll show you the third color as soon as I've had a chance to make something with them.

Today's sample was made using our free "Tallulah Tila Bracelet" pattern, which you can download from THIS post. Although these bright gold Honeycomb Jewel beads are kind of gaudy, I think this would make a cute little bracelet if you like a bit of bling.

You can get the Honeycomb Jewel beads at QueenCityBead on Etsy, HERE. Red Panda also has them in a few colors and you can also get them at Eureka Crystal Beads.

3 MILLION PAGEVIEWS!!!

As of early this morning my blog has had 3 million pageviews since I started it back in January 2014. It's mind boggling knowing that so many people from all over the world take the time to see what I've been crafting and beading.

LUNA ROSA BRACELET MOTIF SAMPLES

I also wanted to show you two sample motifs that I made with Carole Ohl's "Luna Rosa Bracelet" pattern. It's one of those printed Trendsetter patterns from Starman that came with some beads that I'd ordered. Online bead shops will often include these free printed patterns with an order if you request them.



LEFT SAMPLE:

  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • CzechMates Crescent beads "Matte Brown Iris"
  • 6mm druk "Gold Suede Amethyst"
  • 2mm fire polished beads "Matte Brown Iris"

RIGHT SAMPLE:

  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • CzechMates Crescent beads "Metallic Suede Gold"
  • 6mm druk "Brown Caramel Picasso"
  • 2mm fire polished beads "Transparent Gold Topaz Luster"

I couldn't come up with any colorways as bright and cheerful as Carole's example bracelets below but I just wanted to see how they are made and how they look in real life. They were a little fiddly to make but I made these two without any do-overs. They're only about 1/2-inch in diameter and they remind me of vintage buttons. They're cute little components but I'm not sure if I will make the bracelet. Mainly, I'm not keen on seeing the holes in the Crescent beads from the top and I think they would show even more with brighter colored beads. Here is Carole's photo of her bracelet, which looks much nicer than my little samples:



Carole doesn't currently have any kits available for this bracelet in her Etsy shop, but she sold a kit of the turquoise one HERE. Perhaps if you're interested in making her bracelet, you could contact her and see if she will put together a kit for you.


 

4 comments:

  1. Linda you do so much for the craft of beading! I rely on you for help choosing colors for my own bracelets and to make bead purchases. Thank you for all you do and for being so giving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure. It is so much fun that I want to get everyone excited about beading.

      Delete
  2. The jewel honeycomb beads look interesting although this particular colour is a bit blingy for my taste. The components made with crescents are really dainty and pretty and prefer your subtle colours to the brighter ones. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is pretty blingy. I only have three colors to play with so I had to come up with some way to use these gold ones.

      Delete